“Soft despotism is a term coined by Alexis de Tocqueville describing the state into which a country overrun by "a network of small complicated rules" might degrade. Soft despotism is different from despotism (also called 'hard despotism') in the sense that it is not obvious to the people."
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Obamamerica Year One
An Elephant Bar Roundup of The One's Accomplishments in 2009:
1. A $787 billion dollar stimulus bill sold as a job creator that made unemployment go to double digits, which he duly blamed on "Eight years of failed policies of the Bush Administration", except that including interest, the estimated trillion dollar cost of the stimulus bill all by itself will exceed the deficits of Bush's first three years combined.
2. Three months later when unemployment went from 10.2% to just 10.0 % Obama took all the credit for that. Whoop de do.
3. A Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing, or worse than nothing, considering that he took actual possession of the prize money right after jacking up US troop levels in Afghanistan by 30,000.
4. An end to the ban on federal funding of stem cell research, which is kind of moot since the federal government is broke.
5. Cash for clunkers, and a temporary blip in car sales as people took advantage of getting free money.
6. Ditto the first time home buyer incentive. Subsidize anything and you get more of it for a while, until your currency printing press breaks.
7. Enough czars to pack a tsardine can, among them a "Compensation Czar" that sounds like something right out of Atlas Shrugged.
8. General Motors was nationalized to shield the United Auto Workers union from the consequences of demanding a Cadillac of a compensation package. The government is now in the business of making cars, and they are competing directly with Ford which escaped having the workers seize the means of production. Expect future regulations such as mileage standards to punish Ford at the expense of Government Motors.
10. ???? (Nothing else? That might be a good thing)
What is "Occupation" adds:
11. additional obama moments from his 1st year...
12. green job czar a marxist
13. safe school czar a friend of nambla and fisting for kids
14. no jews in jerusalem
15. bowing to royalty
16. apologizing for America
17. claiming to stop torture
18. elevating a social secretary to a social status
19. bankrupting business with cap and trade
20. bankrupting health care
21. hiring his own lobbyists after promising no lobbyists
22. photo op of air force one dive bombing NYC
23. date night
24. chicago olympics
25. embracing ex-pres of honduras (siding with castro and chavez)
26. letting a year go by with northing to show for it with north korea
27. appeasing iran for 25% of his presidency
28. refunding of acorn
29. calling palestinian violence understandable when jews build homes
30. his cairo speech full of distortions and lies
31. his turkey speech full of distortions and lies
32. professor gates snafu...
33. making co2 a pollutant
34. destroying investor wealth at GM and Crysler